Fallout 4 Crash to Desktop fix, FPS Unlock, Disk Write Error solution, etc
Fallout 4 is now already on PC, Xbox One and PS4. Being one of the biggest releases this year, this game offers an extended storyline of Fallout series. Those who had played the older edition before would love to go for this new one and those who had not yet tested Fallout game, then this new one is a good choice. We will be adding some fixes and troubleshooting information in this guide for those who are facing issue with the gameplay on PC. There are many things covered here on the basis of platform. If you have any issues then do share it with us in the comment section below. Before playing the game do check the minimum and required system requirements of Fallout 4.
Fallout 4 Minimum System Requirements:
- Operating System: 64bit Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent
- Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Fallout 4 Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: 64bit Windows 7/8/10
- Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent
- Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Performance improvement of Fallout 4 in Windows:
Check the game recommended or higher system requirements to get a good output. You need more than 8GB of RAM and a GPU of more than 4GB to run the game on high settings. Or else it won’t work well. Go in the game video settings and reduce the screen resolution and turn off extra GPU settings to fix the issue. I think that would offer you a better output. Also update your video drivers for good output. Another issue of stuttering or lagging is low RAM. Adding an 8GB or 4GB RAM stick to your existing 8GB would boost the output.
Fallout 4 Crash to desktop fix: “Thanks to Zappdapper2 (Reddit)”
A few time we faced crash to desktop issue playing this game after a fresh installation. After a few search on web, I found a post on Reddit updated by Zappdapper2. That helped to resolve the issue. I am having an AMD graphic card. Video driver update is one of the most common solutions that I did first before playing any game. The same is applicable to those who are having Nvidia GPU. Now the next thing that helped is the 188.8.131.52 Beta update through Steam. You have to launch Steam and then go in the Game Library. Go in Fallout 4 and then right click on that to open Game Properties. There is a Beta section there. In that you have to choose 184.108.40.206 Beta and add the patch in your system. The size is around 60MB. This really helped.
Manually change Game Screen Resolution of Fallout 4 in Windows:
By default when you start Fallout 4 it will try to adjust the best settings. But in case if you have increased the resolution and facing a black screen then you can manually modify the same through Fallout4Prefs.ini file. This file is located in C:\Users\Username\Documents\MyGames\Fallout4. Go in that and right click on Fallout4Prefs.ini file and choose open with > notepad. Then modify the value of iSize H= and iSize W=. Like if you want to set 1366×768. Then set that to iSize H=1366 & iSize W=768. And save the file. To turn off Fullscreen go in Full Screen= and add 0 as value. 1 is for turning on Fullscreen.
- Take a backup of Fallout4Prefs.ini file first located in C:\Users\Username\Documents\MyGames\Fallout4 .
- Copy it and save it somewhere else. If you face any issue after modifying the file then you can restore the original one.
Fallout 4 Controller issue:
If you are having issue with game controllers or keyboard in the input section then there are some fixes you can try:
- Go in Device Manager > Right click on the hardware and choose Update drivers.
- Launch Steam. Game Library > Fallout 4 > Right click > Properties > Local Files > Verify Game Cache.
Fallout 4 No Sound in Windows:
If you are facing issue with the audio output while playing the game then try updating the audio drivers. And then follow the below steps:
- Go in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound and click on Sound. Under Play click the default audio output device. And then click on Set Default. Now launch the game and test again.
Fallout 4 Steam Achievements not working in Windows:
Sometime you might face issues with Achievements in the game. This is a bug in the game but it is not faced by many players. If you find the issue all you need to do is exit the game first. And then restart Steam and then test back.
Fallout 4 BSOD in Windows 10:
If you are issues with Game Crashing and Blue screen frequently then there are few things you have to check before playing the game:
- Turn off your Security software for some time.
- Verify game cache from Steam > Library > Fallout 4 > Right click and click on Properties > Local Files > Verify game cache.
- Update the Video drivers to the latest one. Try updating your system drivers also. You can use Driver Booster for the same.
- Turn off background services like downloads or anything else.
- If nothing helps remove the game and then run Disk Cleanup. Delete all the Temp files and install the game back again.
- Try changing the game default installation directory. In case of bad sectors you can get blue screen.
No Fullscreen on 4K Monitors:
If you are not able to get full screen mode on 4K monitors or on some lower one then the issue is with the limitation of your graphics card. The game will be working in crop mode on big size monitor if the GPU is unable to provide large resolutions.
Fallout 4 FPS Unlock:
If you have enabled V-Sync in the game and getting only 30 FPS then try to run then game in borderless Window. Alternately, you can also set the iPresentInterval command to 1 to get more than 60 FPS in Fallout 4.
Fallout 4 Disk Write Error Solution:
All you need to do is ensure that you have enough hard drive space freely available in the installation directory and also you should not use FAT file system which causes some issues with this game on your storage device.